fimmtudagur, febrúar 14, 2008

Leaving Cape Town. Destination Namibia

Before leaving Capetown we did a Township tour. Townships were created as living areas for non-whites under the old political system of Apartheid (1948-1994). We started by going to the Apartheid museum that was placed on the street that parted the white area and another non-white area that was compleatly evacuated by the government and then levelled to the ground. Literally, bulldozed until nothing was left. This museum is full of artifacts from that area and it is scary to think that this system was fully funcional until 1994. In a kind of historical museum you expect to see something that happend centuries ago, but all this was really happening less than 15 years ago. The township tour was for me a bit surreal, a part of me thought: Are we really walking through these people's houses? Well off tourists walking through a neighbourhood of people from the very poor to the extremely poor. In some cases 12 people sharing one small bedroom. I normally don't consider myself as financially rich man but there I was. I felt like I wanted to help them and give them some money but where to start? A daunting task indeed. Another part of me thought: It is good for people to see with their own eyes what it was like and still is; and a real eye opener it is. The government is trying to help these people and it is working, but it is a slow and arduous task.
After lunch we hopped on board our "home" for the next 6 weeks and drove off.
The first stop was a campside called the Highlander. There we had a delicious meal followed by some great and plentiful wine tasting.
The next day we drove to the Namibian border where we stopped at a cool campsite with Namibia on the other side of a river. We went for a cool down dip in the river but were told not to swim too far because: "if the crocodiles don't get you, the Namibian border guards on the other side will". I was never sure if that was a joke or a real threat! These first two days were very hard for me because of the heat and therefore it was not comforting to hear when I asked Letitia, our guide, the next morning if this heat would continue and she said: "it will get much hotter". However, I found my self adjusting to the heat in the next couple of days and just as well as it was about to get REALLY hot.
Next: In a big Country

1 Comments:

At 11:51 e.h., Blogger Sigga Lára said...

Þið eruð nú meira ævintýrafólkið. Við biðjum að heilsa Tinna i Kongó.

Árni og co.

P.S. Takk fyrir jólakortið sem var að koma í hús. :)

 

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home