föstudagur, ágúst 05, 2005

Destination Moon

Finally I managed to kick myself in the ass and go to Askja as have have been planing now for quite some time. I had been invited by a good friend of mine Pétur Gíslason to go with his Jeep on a guided tour to Askja. We started kind of late as we had to wait for a german couple that were coming from Akureyri. One of them was a doktor at the Hospital in Akureyri and she came directly from her nightshift. Respect! The other two girls were their friends from Germany. Then there was me and the guide Gunnar. We started rather late, around 09:30 but took it easy and never rushed, a good thing. It was a big adventure to go on this kind og trip and see all the unbelevable landscape...even for an icelander.
There is no wonder that the astronauts came to this area to rehearse for the very first moonlanding in 1969! After a lunch stop in Herðubreiðarlindir and a fantastic walk through the amazing Drekagil (Dragon Gully) we came to Askja Caldera and Víti. It takes about 25 minutes to walk from the parking place to the caldera and what a sight as we came over the last hill.
Of course we then "crawled" down (pretty hard to get down actually) into the carter Víti and had a nice bath. Around 22:00, after a fantastic trip back stopping at Möðrudalur, we drove into the sunset over Mývatn tired but happy about this great trip. I can really recommend this trip to everyone.
I took some pictures (with a camera I borrowed from the guide) and hope to be able to post them on the my page soon. I also bought a new digital camera yesterday so you should expect some more pictures in the future. That is as soon as I have figured out how that works.
More very very soon.
Hasta la pasta

0 Comments:

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home