sunnudagur, janúar 08, 2006

It is better to leave, then never to arrive!

Hello again and a very happy new year to ya´ll!
After a 13 hour trip back to Otavalo (in actually a very confortable bus)I continued the waiting game. This time I was waiting for the pin number for my credit card. It arrived the next day...so now I was all set to continue my travels. I spend the new years in Otavalo. Around 20:00 on the 31th. I went out with the family and we walked around town. Here ppl. dress up for new year...and I don´t mean put on nice clothes, but put on costumes or masks. Many places there were ppl. in the streets dancing in funny costumes. There was a lot of men dressed as women, so it was a kind of a mixture between Halloween and the Gay Parade. They also make live sized dolls that they burn at midnight in the middle of the street with som other stuff...it´s called burning the old year. There were almost NO fieworks! There was not much drinking that night and I went to bed at around 00:45...very unusual for me!
On the fourth of January I packed my stuff and went to Quito. There I met up with Laerke and Ida again. I got a ticket for Santiago for the 10th of January which was kind of unlucky because my visa expires saturday the 7th. I then used almost 2 days going between immigration offices to arange 3 days more so I would not loose my ticket. One officer even told me that I had to go to Colombia and get a new visa there and then re-enter the country. Luckily I found a immigration office in the end that could help me and gave me the days that I needed. Normally it is not a problem to get an extention but the embassy in Panama City had given me a special student visa which is harder to extend. Tipical! Anyways, here in Quito, we have been to the old town, gone to Mitad del Mundo (center of the earth) which is very cool; and today we went to the Park Carolina where there was outdore arobic and drum playing, amongst other things. After a short stop at the moll (El Jardín) We had lunch and here I am.
In two days I´m flying to Santiago de Chile were the third part of my trip begins (the lucky part I hope). I had two choices: To go to Patagonia and continue more or less as planed or go strait to Brazil and and stay there for a couple of weeks before heading home. I took the first option, even though I will be deep in debt when I get back home, because...well, I´m in South America now and who knows when I´m coming back. I will probably be in Brazil around the 10th. of february and back in Denmark at the end of February. Hasta la pasta.
Next time...from Chile!
Juan de Chevere
p.s.
A funny thing happend as I came out of the immigration office the other day...I had just finished arranging my visa, when somebody called my name in the street. I looked around and saw Freddy. He was coming from the coast and had a few hours in Quito before returning to Ibarra. He was going to try to meet me at the hostal but in stead he just happend to see me from his bus. What are the odds of that happening in a huge city like Quito!
J

0 Comments:

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home